Share:
Notifications
Clear all

How JAMB boosted our education fortune, performance in BECE – Principal

Umah Muhammed
Topic starter
(@umah-muhammed)
Famed Member

The performance of the Junior Secondary School (JSS), Guto in the recently-released Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) has been attributed to the critical intervention provided by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) through its staff sent to teach in the school.

These views were expressed by the highly-elated Principal of the school, Chief Emmanuel Ishaya Santas.

In an exclusive interview with JAMBulletin, he had commended the thoughtfulness of the JAMB Management in cushioning the effect of the shortage of teaching staff by deploying the Board educationally-inclined staff to teach in the school.

This commendation came on the heels of the Board’s commissioning of some projects in the school which were constructed and some renovated with funds provided by the Board under its Corporate Social Responsibility.

He pointed out that the educational fortune of the school had risen tremendously in terms of enrolment and performance in both internal and external examinations.

BECE is the main examination taken by students to qualify for admissions into senior secondary and vocational schools in Nigeria which the school participates in being a junior secondary school.

The results, as released recently by the Education Resource Centre (ERC), showed that 46,075 candidates passed with six credits including English Language and Mathematics out of the 5 9 , 9 3 8 candidates that sat the examination.

Mr. Santas said, “The intervention by JAMB in posting some of its professional staff to JSS, Guto, to help us teach, particularly, those subjects we lack teachers, is a good initiative. To that extent, the deployment has impacted positively on the school’s performance in internal and external examinations. I am proud of them because they are up and doing with up-to-date knowledge of the subjects they are assigned to teach.”

Continuing, he said, “JSS, Guto, is a school that can easily be underrated considering its location but with the structural uplift by JAMB and the intellectual intervention, we are one of the best in the entire FCT.

The school has been producing students that are admitted to Gifted School, Gwagwalada, Science &Tech School, Maitama, Area 3, among others, and, with the Board’s intervention, we hope we would be able to sustain this feat.

“Though I’m just a year in the school, the 2020 BECE results is the best as the school’s percentage of the score in the BECE results is put at 97%. The intervention of the Board is largely responsible for this based on testimonies I heard from teachers and parents alike. In fact, I’ll challenge anyone to conduct a survey around Sabon Gari and its environs to ascertain the veracity of this claim.”

“In addition to the above, I ‘m also proud to announce that although, we would not get our JSS One students until January owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, enrolment of JSS 2 and 3 students is at an unprecedented level because of the new look the school is wearing.”

With regard to the critical intervention, the educationist commended JAMB stating that such an intervention was unprecedented in the history of the school and education in the FCT. He disclosed that the Paramount ruler of Guto, in appreciation of the intervention by the Board under the leadership of Prof. Oloyede, recently honoured the Registrar with the traditional title of “MAGAJIN GARI” of Guto.

The elated Principal added that if he had the opportunity of meeting the Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, in person, he would have thanked him appropriately in line with his new title. He said, “Nevertheless, my prayers for him is that may God Almighty bless him, his Management team and the entire JAMB staff in general.”

“Permit me, however, like Oliver Twist, to make a request to the Board to assist in the construction of the school’s perimeter fence in order to protect these facilities to avoid vandalization and theft.”

He said, “With joy, I’ll want to, for record purposes, mention a few of the projects that the Board had graciously funded.

These are a new borehole, a block of two classrooms as well as the furnishing of the Principal and Vice Principal’s offices.

Other projects included the renovation of 16 classroom blocks, supply of 5 sets of computers, an 8.1 KVA Generator, 388 students’ desks, and 70 sets of tables and chairs for teachers.”

The principal urged other sister organisations situated within the Bwari Area Council to emulate JAMB by emplacing a robust Corporate Social Responsibility programme to intervene in critical institutions in their host community.

Source:Nalaccordnewspaper

1609258126-jamb-750x375.jpg
Topic Tags

Share: